In today’s episode, we get to hear from Dr. Karen Hutcheson, a Trauma Informed, Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Author, adoptive mom and Orphan Care Advocate. She specializes in the assessment and treatment of children from “hard places.” Karen is also the Director of Discipleship and Training at Scarlet Hope.
In this episode you will learn about:
- How Karen became involved in orphan care
- The most common issues that orphaned and vulnerable children face and how we can best evaluate and address the needs in the context of adoptions, foster care, and orphanage settings
- An overview of how trauma affects children
- TBRI Interventions
- How Karen’s background as a missionary influences her work and member care
- The importance of attachment in children who have experienced trauma and how to foster attachment.
- Finding support for foster and adoptive parents
Links from this episode:
Trust Based Relational Interventions
Books mentioned in the show: