This week we are joined by Tiffany Bluhm, the author of Prey Tell and Never Alone. She speaks at conferences, companies, and churches, and her work has been featured in Publisher’s Weekly, Sojourners, Red Letter Christians, the YouVersion Bible app, and more. She serves at the intersection of faith and culture, humor and women’s issues. In this episode, In addition to a heart-wrenching conversation on adoption, Tiffany helps us navigate hard conversations around abuse of power and what it means to create systems of accountability.
- Tiffany Bluhm joins and shares her background (6:40)
- The importance of representation in early childhood (7:00)
- Adopting from East Africa (16:00)
- What you’ve learned as an adoptive parent (19:00)
- Navigating complex trauma and creating safe homes (20:00)
- The importance of self-care for ourselves (21:00)
- The unique isolation of motherhood and not wanting to burden others (22:00)
- Creating community and places families can connect (26:05)
- Tiffany’s take on “Adoption is trauma” (27:00)
- Trying to reconcile with family before international adoption (34:00)
- Tiffany’s book ‘Prey Tell’
- Discussing abuse of power (40:00)
- Biblical example of serving as an ally and bystander intervention (42:00)
- Demanding systematic accountability (43:00)
- When we see an imbalance of power (46:00)
- True accountability outside of the organization (50:00)
- Conflict of interest between leaders and boards (51:00)
- Pathways of reporting that are anonymous (52:00)
- What Tiffany’s currently working on (55:00)
- Tiffany’s personal recommendations (56:30)
- Brandon and Phil’s recap (59:00)
Faith to Action Initiative is hosting an upcoming webinar on Jun 8, 2023! Sign up today!
You will learn practical ways to negate “selfie missions”, realign your missions efforts with the heart of God, and participate in transformational and reconciling missions work around the world.
Join the Haiti Family Care Network at the Better Together Conference this July! The Better Together conference will provide a dedicated space and time to convene, share, and learn over two and half days in Nashville.
Resources and Links from the show
Speaker | Tiffany’s Speaking Page
Co-Host | Why Tho Podcast