This week we have the co-author of Freeing Congregational Mission, Dr. Hunter Farrell. He served as a long-term missionary in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Peru and now works as the Director of the World Mission Initiative at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. Dr. Farrell brings a wealth of first hand and research knowledge about Christian Mission. After 35 years in intercultural missions, he is calling for a reframing of missions. What would it look like to approach missions with a learning posture? How can we create spaces of connection for shared learning across cultures?
- Hunter brought back to faith in Congo (4:50)
- Defining missions (10:00)
- The three stones framework (15:00)
- Cultural humility and learning posture (20:00)
- Problematic attitude of giving without receiving (24:00)
- Creating spaces of connection and horizontal learning (40:00)
- Unintended consequences of child sponsorship (42:00)
- Redeeming short-term missions (51:00)
- Key differences in cultures (57:00)
CAFO2023 is a gathering of more than 2,000 Christian orphan care leaders, parents and practitioners coming together from over 50 countries to worship and learn together. The event is September 20th-22nd in Oklahoma City. Register today!
Resources and Links from the show