In this conversation episode, we bring together leaders within different denominations to talk about care reform and the role the American church can play. Joining us today are Kristen Lowry from Shelter Yetu and Send Relief (Southern Baptist Convention), Laura Horvath from Helping Children Worldwide and the United Methodist Church, and Pastor Jacob Lierz from LifeMission Church. We discuss what motivates American churches to engage in global orphan care? How do we encourage them to move towards better practice? Can the church lead the movement for care reform?
- What brought our guests into reforming orphan care (6:00)
- Advising churches on best practice (13:00)
- Helping the church ask questions (16:30)
- Bringing change in missions (21:00)
- Why are churches and donors reluctant to change? (31:00)
- Should we stop supporting orphanages? (35:00)
- Stories of change (42:00)
- Short-term mission vs. long-term missions (49:00)
- Improving child protection in missions (58:00)
- Start with education and ask the hard questions (1:05:00)
Sojourn Studio empowers young women and moms on the Thailand-Myanmar border through dignified work as they handcraft beauty to rewrite stories and lift communities. Get shopping today and support families at the same time!
Resources and Links from the show